Below is a press release from the Mississippi Public Service Commission:
Northern District Public Service Commissioner Brandon Presley recently signed orders re-designating the Eligible Telecommunications Carrier (ETC) status of nine local electric
cooperative subsidiaries for $9,123,901 in grants to be spent in 2023 from the FCC’s Rural Digital Opportunity Fund (“RDOF”) for broadband expansion. Official state re-designation will benefit 182,311 homes and businesses in North Mississippi. These nine carriers are currently providing service to 84,573 customers. Totally, the nine providers received $91,380,620 from RDOF, which will be disbursed over ten years.
“Ensuring Mississippians have access to world-class broadband service in small towns and rural communities has been one of my top priorities as Public Service Commissioner. Whether it be telework, telemedicine, or online education, broadband accessibility will promote economic investment and enhance quality of life for countless rural Mississippians. I am proud to partner with these electric cooperatives in working to meet the needs of our communities. These funds go to the heart of that mission. I will not rest until every last house at the end of every rural dirt road in Mississippi is connected,” said Commissioner Brandon Presley.
Commissioner Presley re-certified the following electric cooperative subsidiaries:
- ACE Fiber by Alcorn County Electric: $550,590.48
- M-Pulse Fiber by Monroe County Electric: $819,100.80
- NT Spark by Natchez Trace Electric: $1,031,059.20
- NE SPARC by North East Mississippi Electric: $1,265,233.80
- Prentiss Connect by Prentiss County Electric: $680,315.04
- TVI Fiber by Tallahatchie Valley Electric: $2,017,380.80
- TEPA Connect by Tippah Electric: $676,635
- Tombigbee Fiber by Tombigbee Electric: $985,510.20
- Tishomingo Connect by Tishomingo County Electric: $1,098,076.20
Residents who would like to sign up for service or inquire about service availability at their address can contact Commissioner Presley’s office at 1 (800) 637-7722.